Julie and I left Portland bright and early - it was so nice to have a familiar face to start this journey! After meeting the rest of the group in Houston (and being relieved that everyone seemed so friendly) we were finally on our way to San Miguel. After arriving at the Leon airport I was quickly introduced to the friendliness of the Mexican people. They not only found me and gave me a message about Julie's bags, but brought the bags over and helped me carry them through customs. I cannot imagine an airport employee in the U.S. being that helpful.
It wasn't long before we discovered some of the more frustrating aspects of being in Mexico. When our shuttle failed to arrive we were stuck negotiating for a ride. Unfortunately since they knew we had no other options, we were fairly certain we paid more than we should have. However, without Maura's wonderful Spanish it probably would have been even more!
After arriving in San Miguel we checked into our house and got a quick tour. Then, with amazing ease, quickly negotiated where everyone would sleep. I don't think I've ever seen six women get along so well, right away! After meeting everyone for dinner we walked to the center of town, where fireworks were going off. It was a beautiful night and a perfect beginning to our week in San Miguel.

No comments:
Post a Comment