After meeting at the library at 10:00 we were given a quick tour and met a lot of the library staff and volunteers that we would be working with. We were then given the rest of the day to explore the town.
My favorite discovery of the day was the local open air market. Brightly colored flowers were displayed next to butcher shops. When I passed a booth that sold beans and dog food, where they were spilling over and mixing I had to take a picture. Although I wasn't willing to eat here, the smells and sights were delightful. Everyone was very friendly. An elderly woman spent a long time telling me how her family made the blankets she was selling, but the same blankets were for sale at every other booth. I'm sure they thought I was funny as I took pictures of cactus, shoe racks, and bags of food.
I know the hope was that we would start working today, but it was nice to have a day to explore and get to know the local atmosphere.

No comments:
Post a Comment