Tuesday morning we arrived at the library ready to start working. After dividing into two groups of four, our group went to train with Kathleen. She had created a wonderful "cheat sheet" that told us exactly what fields and subfields the library needed. The training went well, but we had to be patient as each of us took a turn creating the new record. Soon we were ready to get started on our own.
Within minutes we found that a desire to get started doesn't always mean much. I spent most of the afternoon moving from one corner to another trying to get any internet access. When I finally did get access, there was nowhere to plug in the laptop! Even once we were sort of settled, the internet access was so sporadic that it often meant starting over two or three times to finish one record.
Argh! Today was a lesson, not just on being in another country and working with the tools you have, but having a great deal of patience. I'm sure this will happen in real libraries, but at least I would have other ideas of projects to work on. Here, it wasn't my own library so it was very frustrating since I really wanted to be helping them and didn't know what I could do.
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment