The further I get into this book the more impressed I am. It's very straightforward and presents very practical advise.
On page 81 (and throughout the book) they emphasize the importance of getting the information out in bilingual formats. Last year my son's class did a bilingual play about a girl that gets tired of translating for her parents and decides to no longer speak any Spanish. My experience at their school and coaching a largely Latino girls soccer team supports this frustration. I think it is crucial that we try not to put children in the role of translator. Using bilingual signage, providing translated information, and when possible staffing events with bilingual presenters can make all patrons feel welcome. At the end of the play the girl decides that speaking Spanish is actually a good thing because it is part of who she is. In many ways; providing Spanish signs and bilingual programming not only supports the patrons, but also lets them know they are welcome.
I also agree with the emphasis on page 90 about the library being free. There are so many things that cost money and many families have no idea that the library doesn't cost anything. Although it is only briefly discussed in the book, it is also essential to stress that anyone can use the library. For some Latino patrons it may be important that there is no legal documentation required.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment